Lost Tales of Beleriand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to pre-Beta!

5 posters

Go down

Welcome to pre-Beta! Empty Welcome to pre-Beta!

Post  Kithrater Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Use this forum for general purpose discussions regarding the MUD. We're aiming to open for beta by September the 1st. I'll occasionally post snippets of what's going on here, in a sad attempt to build excitement amongst the dozen or so people that will be looking at the forum.

As far as information and publicity go, more will become available as we come closer to September the 1st. This MUD is currently not being advertised anyway other than word of mouth, and I would appreciate it be kept this way. I don't want to unnecessarily create unwarranted expectations, nor end up like however many other sad MUDs who proclaim their existence to the world at large and then never make it to an open Beta.

Setting: First Age of Arda, in the land of Beleriand, focusing on the War of Jewels, the hundreds-year conflict between the Noldo and their allies against Morgoth fought over Morgoth's murder of Finwe, previous High King on the Noldo, and theft of the Silmarils, the prized possession of Feanor.

Specifically, game time will start around the Dagor Ballach, I 455. The Dagor Bragollach, or the Battle of the Sudden Flame, is where Morgoth breaks the four-hundred-year-long siege of his fortress Angband, and precedes a hundred years of a desperate free-for-all between his forces and everyone else who lives in Beleriand.

Focus: The MUD will be explicitly focused around heroes, specifically sub-level heroes who's names never appeared in the Silmarillion, but only just. PCs will be able to become very powerful, raise warbands to fight the war, and act out their epic hero dreams. There will be very little "crafting", and what little there is will be focused around weapon and armor production, poison and herbalism, and magic.

Originally play will be restrained to the alliance of Noldo, Sinda, human and dwarves against Morgoth, but if player size increases enough, orcs from Angband and other factions will become available. The Beta takes place in the northern province of Dorthonion, while Open is aimed to eventually encompass the entire northern half of Beleriand.

Style: The MUD will be a Role-Play Intensive MUD, but with more combat and battling. 'Powergaming' will be more acceptable, and more part of every day life. Players on the whole will be roleplaying hero candidates, and a few lucky ones actual heroes, so they will be allowed to go out and do heroic things.

Code: The MUD will be using the recent RPI Engine released by SoI, with a number of significant changes regarding combat, and a couple dozen or so other features I always wanted to change.

Last edited by Kithrater on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

Kithrater
Admin
Admin

http://lost-tales.org

Back to top Go down

Welcome to pre-Beta! Empty Re: Welcome to pre-Beta!

Post  Bard Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:03 am

Actually, it's the Dagor Bragollach.

Couldn't resist!

Rest sounds great to me!
Bard
Bard
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Kestrel Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:22 pm

I''ll be watching with bated breath!

Kestrel
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamer Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:29 pm

Kestrel wrote:I''ll be watching with bated breath!

<3
Dreamer
Dreamer
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackjack Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:55 pm

Dreamer wrote:
Kestrel wrote:I''ll be watching with bated breath!

<3

What he said. Looking forward to it.
Blackjack
Blackjack
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down