Lost Tales of Beleriand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Re-opening

2 posters

Go down

Not Re-opening Empty Not Re-opening

Post  Kithrater Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:17 am

The Skinny: I can't devote the next two months to bringing the game to the level I want it to be, and am unwilling to release it in an unready state. This, plus a host of other reasons, means that I've decided to close the game now, ending on a good note, rather than have it drag out for a year or so before finally putting it to rest. The MUD survived me getting married, moving overseas, but unfortunately will be felled by permanent employment and moving back from whence I came.

The future involves me doing what I did for the year before it opened: me tinkering with the MUD in my spare time, in private, occasionally begging people to build a few objects and rooms for me, and teaching myself what there is to learn about C, C++, mySQL, perl, and so on. In a one, two, three or four year's time, I might have another game ready. I might not. It probably won't look anything like what LToB did, but it will encompass a lot of the lessons learned from the beta.

I do apologise to everyone who invested time in this MUD, but I console myself with the thought that you got out of it something you were looking for. To the staff, I owe you all a favour. Redeemable in whatever manner I can pay back. Call it in when you want.

To the players, thank you for your enthusiasm. I hope you don't feel too burned by this, but look back and enjoy the three months of beta and thank the lucky stars it didn't turn in to a MUD death spiral. Those are ugly. I really was surprised of the faith that people had in me, despite previous screw ups on ElseMU*. Hopefully that faith will remain despite me committing what will undoubtedly be received as yet another bad move.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I'm not too disappointed how things worked out - my involvement in the project was for the building and coding sake, a functioning MUD was a nice side benefit. I doubt I'll staff anywhere else. I hope my staff do go on to staff elsewhere - they are very talented and enthusiastic.

Kithrater
Admin
Admin

http://lost-tales.org

Back to top Go down

Not Re-opening Empty Re: Not Re-opening

Post  Dreamer Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:55 pm

I will miss all of you. Sad You can always contact me at inmyowndreams@gmail.com, and if you're nice enough, I might even eventually give you my AIM (if you'd want it).
Dreamer
Dreamer
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum